Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Big Short

Just finished Michael Lewis' fine book about the housing crash called "The Big Short". I would highly recommend this read to anyone. I have read just about everything I can get my hands on regarding the Too Big to Fail scenario. All of what I have read to date has been from the perspective of the top of the heap (i.e.) Paulson, Bernenke, Geithner and the heads of the big investment banks. This book is fascinating as it analyzes the same events from the bottom of the pyramid. He follows a handful of hedge fund managers that early on figured out the housing mess and shorted the market to make huge profits. It is a remarkable tale of how they determined everyone in the mainstream was either wrong, crooked or so greedy that they didn't want to change the status quo.

The real tragedy of course is that they were the only ones that saw the fallacy of the economy at that time. As a result we are all still paying a heavy price for the greed and malfeasance of the oligarchy that runs the banking industry in this country.

In any event if you have the interest & the time I highly endorse this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment